TECHNOLOGIES IN RÁBA’S GYŐR PLANT
Rába’s main profile is the drop forging of axle parts. The current surface area of the forging plant is 20,000 sqm, the total annual capacity is 40,000 tons and the principal raw materials are alloy, non-alloy and micro-alloyed steel.
The equipment and machinery in the forging plant is used to manufacture the following special products:
- Integral and non-integral knuckles
- Shafts (axle beams, axle shafts, camshafts)
- Cylindrical forgings (gear drives, drive pinions, planetary ring gears, planet gears, wheel hubs, spindles, flanged differential case halves)
- Arm-like parts (tie rod arms, steering arms, brake levers, weld yokes, spider differentials)
- Brackets and stubs (brake spiders)
In addition to the forging operations, the manufacturing process also encompasses the cutting of the raw material, as well as the heat treatment (annealing and normalisation, as well as refining), straightening and grinding, crack detection, surface compaction and cleaning, as well as hardness testing of the forgings.
Schuler forging line
80 – 150
63 MN Maxima press
10 – 40
Steering knuckle, gear drive
LASCO III. press (10 MN)
10 – 32
40 MN press
5 – 20
Steering arm, arm-tie rod, gear
LASCO I. production line (8 MN)
Pinion drive, spindle
- Case hardening: 6000 t/year
- Induction hardening: 120 000 pcs/year
Most of the forged products are sold after machining. Machining is done in cells of various sizes, optimised for the product in question, or in customised machining centres. With cell production, products are handled by robots.
The machining of the parts of various sizes and functions of complete axles, as well as the case-type castings and the production of gears take place in-house.
Axles are assembled on designated assembly lines, where products are also finalised and qualified.
Sheet machining and welding
The segment of metal structures manufactures chassis and welded axle parts for construction equipment in the first place, using the following technologies:
- Shot blasting
- Sheet cutting (laser, plasma and flame cutting)
- NC bending of sheets
- Hollow section and tube cutting
- Tube and hollow section profile bending
- Robotised arc welding (>10 pcs at Axle level)
- Manual arc welding (>100 stations at Axle level)
- Butt welding
- Friction welding
- Assembly of welded parts
- Industrial painting and polishing of welded chassis
The company has its own tooling facility, focusing on manufacturing and refurbishing forging tools (machining, heat treatment and welding).